Sometimes it makes sense to have a guest giving their view. Sue Bown, Business Coach, offers her tips for dealing with stress.
Stress is the black death
It makes shocking reading but the report by Chartered Institute of Personal Development (CIPD) featured in many of the nationals says exactly that. Stress is so common-place it’s the top cause of workplace sickness and it’s so widespread it’s been called the Black Death of the 21st century.
Stress is the most common cause of absence from work
Stress has overtaken stroke, heart attack, cancer and back problems as the commonest cause of absence from work.
Common causes of stress are an excessive workload, the boss’ management style, problems at home, anxiety regarding restructuring in the workplace. There are some
What is stress?
Symptoms of stress are lack of focus, losing your temper more quickly than normal, losing your sense of humour. Left untreated these can lead to more serious illnesses such as heart disease, stomach and bowel conditions and depression.
I believe that by living in a fast-paced world of fast answers, instant access, iPhones, Blackberrys and social media, whilst they all offer benefits to our lives, they can if misused be detrimental to our health.
Sue’s top tips for reducing work stress:
1. Give yourself time every day. Find some time even if it’s just 5 minutes where you can just be alone with your thoughts. We all need thinking time.
2. Focus on your breathing, inhale fully, and exhale fully, using every part of your lungs.
3. Turn off social media, give yourself a break.
4. Take up meditation or yoga. Both of these are so very beneficial to health and wellbeing.
5. Be your own best friend. Think about some advice you’d give to a friend in the same situation and take that advice yourself. You’ll be surprised what you know.
If you are interested in a one minute reset button, why not download my FREE award winning stress management technique MOMM – Mariette’s One Minute Meditation. Click here to download.
To visit Sue Bown’s website: http://thecoachingzone.co.uk/