You see someone standing tall, well-dressed and smiling to others. You are attracted to that person because the vibes around them are positive and confident. And you want some of that.
The good news is that you can easily get the presentation aspects (more here).
But there is more to a confident appearance than just presentation.
You need to communicate in a way that attracts others, that makes them want to talk to you.
And what makes people want to talk to you?
How to communicate with confidence? Three golden rules for confident communication:
- Allow others to talk about themselves, keep asking questions
- Be positive
- Don’t talk much about yourself
On top of that:
- Speak slowly and clearly
- Keep eye contact and keep smiling
- Nod to affirm you are listening and use words such as ‘that must be interesting’ and ‘I never knew that’
Feed your confidence on the inside:
- Don’t ever judge the other person or what they are saying to you
- Don’t be distracted by other people or things happening around you
- And finally, don’t be intimated, and remind yourself how well you are doing
Of course, if you are shy and not very confident, this is a big step. But just follow Susan Jeffers’ credo
‘Feel the fear and do it anyway’.
The fear in your imagination is usually bigger than the reality and this fear will expand. Once you face reality and try your communication skills out in the real world, you create a learning experience of which you will grow. And after each experience, you will become stronger and more confident.
Life coaching for confidence
Want to have a chat about confidence? Book a slot for a FREE clarity call